SSD Attorney Monica R. Savidge
Committed to fulfilling your need for disability benefits
I began practicing law in 1996 as an assistant district attorney, learning the basics of legal procedure. Next I worked for a law firm that handled workers compensation claims. These first two assignments provided me with many of the skills that I now routinely employ as a Social Security Disability lawyer.
My personal mission as an attorney is to help underserved populations, and I found the opportunity to pursue that calling by working for Legal Aid of North Carolina in Wilmington. For eight years, I helped people in a variety of legal areas, but primarily in Social Security disability claims. My background as an ADA had prepared me well to represent my clients comprehensively in legal proceedings. After helping people with their initial applications, I was able to effectively advocate for them in hearings, appeals and in federal district court in the Eastern District of North Carolina. Also, my understanding of the health issues involved with disability claims is enhanced by my experience with the complex medical requirements of workers compensation law.
After establishing myself at Legal Aid, I was named the Disability and Benefits Task Force Co-Chair. In this role, I organized training sessions for newer Legal Aid attorneys across the state and assisted them in mastering this complex practice area. I found this work rewarding, as I was helping to ensure that disabled people in North Carolina could have access to excellent representation.
In my current legal practice, I am primarily devoted to helping people with disabilities receive SSD and SSI benefits. I am a North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Social Security Disability Law. I also work with the Brunswick County mental health court, where I provide expert opinion regarding mentally disabled people or those who need to be recognized as disabled.
Trust a lawyer who understands SSD and cares about your struggle
I stay current on the latest developments in disability law and I provide you with useful medical resources. My legal service is intensely personal, expressing my genuine concern for all disabled people in our community. For immediate assistance with your disability claim, contact me online or call me at 910-795-4433. I am ready to talk to you.
Monica R. Savidge
- Social Security Disability (SSD)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Unemployment insurance benefits
- Personal injury
- North Carolina, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2002
- J.D., with honors, George Washington Law School, 1996
- B.B.A., University of Iowa, 1992
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Disability Advocacy Section, membership co-chair
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Brunswick County Bar Association
- Co-author, “Considering Public Benefits in Settling Your Client's Claim,” North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers Brief, October 2007